Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Taking a deep breath - and liking it!

Today was a definite turning point in 2009.  Sometimes in life we get to a point where we feel like we are going in circles.  Each day is just like the last.  We're not sure where we are heading or why.

I've been there for quite a while now.  I thought I was listening to where God wanted me and changed the focus of my serving.  Still I felt lost - trapped.  A friend took this picture and wrote these words which explain the very way I was feeling ...

12/365 no way out

"There is nothing like feeling trapped. Trapped in yourself, trapped in a job, trapped. Just trapped.

The funny thing is most of the time the glass isn't that thick. It's easily broken with just a few slaps. It might be worth a few cuts, a little blood. You might get out.

Isn't it worth getting out?"  Gail

Today - though - I broke through the one of those panes of glass.  It was a pane I have looked at for months but didn't know how to break through.  Breaking through was as easy as listening to what God was saying ...  Now is not the time for you to try to do My work on earth but a time to let Me do my work for you ~ hold you, restore you, be strong for you, love you like no one else can.

So today I stepped away from my leadership role in Student Ministries at my church.  After finishing the final things I needed to, having conversations with key leadership people (they are more than leaders they are my friends) and turning in my keys I walked out of the building.  I took a deep breath and felt the air rush into my lungs - I held it for a moment because I feel like it is the first deep breath I've been able to take in quite a long time.  I think it is the first of many this year and I can't wait!

3 comments:

Jenster said...

I went to lunch right after you left and started to run to catch up to you. Then I got a call and had to hang back. It was kind of sad watching you walk away, but I know you're doing what's right for you. What God wants. He has big plans for you and I'm excited to see what they might be!

Frank Chiapperino said...

Barb, It was great working with you over the last 8 or so months. I hope you find rest in your transition.

Tina said...

Barb,
Speaking as a parent of two kids who have worked closely with you over the last few years, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the blood, sweat and tears you have put into making Sutdent Ministries what it is today. You will never know how many lives you have touched with your generosity. While you will be missed, I know you are doing what is right. Best of luck!